MS Finance Degree at Illinois
We deliver a 15-month STEM designated Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree that offers remarkable flexibility while preserving academic rigor. The main objective of the program is to provide students with extensive exposure to the latest developments in finance theory and practice in a curriculum specifically designed for each student’s area of specialization. We have been focused consistently on implementing a specialized finance program for more than 50 years. Our innovations along the way ensure that students in this program graduate with a knowledge of finance that sets them apart from other professionals.
Some of the reasons why the Illinois MSF is right for you:
- This program is STEM designated allowing international students to remain in the U.S. for up to 36 months on the Optional Practical Training STEM extension.
- We offer a very flexible program with an extensive list of electives, and multiple specialization tracks including Data Analytics and Fintech, Quantitative Finance, Asset Management, Corporate Finance, Real Estate, and Risk Management.
- Our curriculum offers cutting-edge classes including Data Analytics, High Frequency Trading, Fintech, and Financial Engineering; practical classes including Applied Portfolio Management, M & A, Investment Banking, and Financial Modeling and theoretical classes for students interested in preparing for future PhD study.
- All students will have the chance to participate in our full semester Practicum project, where you will get to work on real world projects for national and international companies. In the past year students have worked on projects with many companies including Duff and Phelps, Equity International, and Axis Re. We have upcoming projects with BMO Harris and Country Financial among others.
- Our classes are taught by world-class professors and industry experts in their respective areas.
- Our most recent graduates have landed jobs with prestigious companies like Goldman Sachs, Bloomberg, and Deloitte. Our most recent placement statistics are 83% employment at six months post-graduation.
The Market Information Lab , sponsored in part by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, provides students with state-of-the-art tools and software products, bringing real-world quantitative techniques to the academic experience. This computer lab along with most MSF courses are housed in the Business Instructional Facility.
The MS Finance degree was recently ranked 6th in the US by QS University Rankings. The Gies College of Business is ranked as the thirteenth best program for Undergraduate studies in the United States and The University of Illinois was ranked #1 for Public Universities in the Midwest for Best ROI.